- Take on this Senior opportunity and work in a spectacular location with a passionate local Council!
- Attractive remuneration package circa $84,832 - $114,643 plus 9.5% super & salary packaging!
- Further benefits include career advancement opportunities, 5 weeks annual leave & flexi-days for a 9-day fortnight!
Walgett Shire Council and the Lighting Ridge Area
Walgett Shire Council is a local government on the border of New South Wales and Queensland that provides services to Walgett, Lightning Ridge, Collarenebri and the surrounding rural areas. The Shire covers an area of 22,000 square kilometres and has a population of approximately 6,000.
Found near the junction of the Namoi River and Barwon River, Walgett is a town full of history, tranquillity and adventure. A former paddle-steamer port, it is the northern gateway to the Darling River Run, a fascinating journey that takes in stunning landscapes and rich history.
Just under an hour's drive north, the Lightning Ridge area offers plenty of adventure, history and Outback majesty. From fossicking for opals to admiring art in an underground cave, there's something for everyone in this unique and colourful region include relaxing in naturally-heated springs, fishing on the Barwon or Namoi Rivers, and so much more.
For more information about Walgett and the Lightning Ridge area, please click here.
About the Opportunity
An important opportunity is now available for a community-minded Building Surveyor to join Walgett Shire Council on a full-time permanent basis, based in Walgett, NSW.
Reporting to the Director Environmental Services, you will be responsible for ensuring compliance with building, planning and environmental health standards and regulations throughout Walgett Shire.
Your main responsibilities will include (but will not be limited to):
- Assessing relevant applications, including Complying Development Certificates and conducting inspections in accordance with relevant legislation, ensuring Council fulfils its Building regulations function;
- Investigating and following up on complaints regarding unauthorised work, pollution, food safety, swimming pools and all other matters related to the Environmental Services Division;
- Contributing to planning certificates including outstanding notices and following up on complaints in regards to development control and non-compliance with relevant conditions/legislation;
- Issuing notices, orders and infringements in accordance with Council delegations; and
- Providing a range of technical support to Council divisions and departments as well as external community members/organisations, working in close collaboration with both on a regular basis.
To view the full position description, please click here.
Please Note: Walgett Shire Council are willing to assist the successful candidate to gain relevant experience and qualifications in Environmental Health upon commencing employment.
To be considered for this role you will have demonstrable experience and a degree or diploma in Building Surveying, Building, or a closely related field. Additionally you will have knowledge and/or experience administering the Local Government Act 1993, the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 and the Swimming Pools Act 1992.
Any experience within local government particularly in a rural environment and/or a Diploma in Environmental Health , while not not essential, would be highly regarded, however Walgett Shire Council are also willing to assist the successful applicant to gain relevant environmental health qualifications.
As an experienced surveyor, your ability to competently navigate the relevant software, notwithstanding Microsoft Office, Authority, MapInfo and Trim or equivalent, and ideally IntraMaps, will go a long way to ensuring your success.
Working within a unique rural environment, you will appreciate the need to constantly adapt while dealing with a broad range of responsibilities specific to the local community, taking an open-minded and inclusive approach to achieving negotiated outcomes in the process.
Ideally, Walgett Shire Council are looking for an inclusive leader who is team-oriented and community-minded with confidence in their ability to influence outcomes and mitigate conflict.
With a plethora of untapped potential, for the successful candidate that possesses the initiative and creativity to grow within role, the opportunities uncovered in Walgett and the Lightning Ridge Area could prove to be substantial.
About the Benefits
In recognition of your hard work and dedication you will enjoy an excellent remuneration package circa $84,832 - $114,643, dependant on your experience and qualifications, plus 9.5% super and additional salary packaging options.
Walgett Shire Council offers a family friendly workplace, with fantastic working conditions and a range of additional benefits to help you enjoy life in the local community, including:
- A 9 day fortnight;
- 5 weeks annual leave;
- Subsidised housing or rental assistance; and
- Fexi-days to ensure a great work/life balance.
This is an integral opportunity to advance your career in a senior position with a supportive council that enjoys great staff retention and an inclusive work culture. You will be joining a passionate, multi-skilled team and receive ongoing professional development opportunities to excel your career.
In addition, you'll be conveniently located in an office on the main street, close to local cafes and shops.
Please Note: Applications close 23rd July 2020.
Take on this senior opportunity and join a passionate Council in a fantastic location - Apply Now!